Monday, July 18, 2011

Long Beach Antique Market

 
 

Isn't that last picture the most horrifying thing ever? (It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again) One of my favorite finds of the day was the picnic set that came in the orange and white striped box. And of course I am always excited to find any sort of unicorn. The one in the pictures above was a little too muscular/masculine for my taste though.

The Long Beach Antique Market happens the 3rd Sunday of every month. This place is awesome. My big problem here is that there is too much good stuff. I have no room to put any of it, so I don't buy it. This is actually a good thing because Kyle and I have both been guilty of having "collectors' mentality." You know, you can't just buy one thing in a series, you have to buy all of them and own the whole series. Or there was that brief period where I took belly dancing classes and developed an interest in 60s belly dancing music on vinyl and started to collect it. It's cool, but it's pointless and it causes clutter, and maybe it's better to spend money on experiences than things. Boy, what a tangent! Anyway, we're both much better about our bad collecting habits, and have pretty much stuck to just one small collection each. His is comic books (and maybe blu-rays) and mine is vintage brooches. These collections don't take up very much room, thank goodness.

But, back to the topic... The Long Beach Antique Market is a great place to buy furniture, home decor, and vintage clothing and jewelry. There are other things of course, but those are the things I am most interested in, and I thought the selection was good. I could have easily left with a piece of furniture and some tchotchkes to display on it, if I had room for more furniture. Next time I go, I am taking my friend Kristine because I am intimidated by vintage clothing and how to wear it realistically without looking too costumey, and she has great style!
After all that, what did I end up buying? This cute little mouse brooch! The tale is flexible. I also saw a vase that I've been wanting, but I already bid on it on eBay a few days ago and I am the current high bidder, so I passed on it just in case.

The Long Beach Antique Market is located at the Long Beach Veterans Stadium (4901 E. Conant St) and runs from 5:30am to 2pm. Parking is free. Admission is $10 between 5:30am and 6:30am, and $5 after 6:30am. Children under 12 are free.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

So much good stuff. If we had an actual awesome flea market in Edmonton, I'd be so down with having a cool thrifted house.

Also? UNICORN! That's two nights in a row I've dreamt about them. Get outta my brain!

frien said...

I love it all! Me too next time!

kelly ♥ said...

I like little bits and pieces of old stuff here and there. If you asked me like 6 years ago, I would have wanted an entire mid-century decked out house. Now I like a mix of comfy with mid-century, "bohemian" and even some "ethnic" touches. I just need to figure out how to get it right!

Stajia said...

Ah! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the long beach market! I totally forgot about its existence till I saw all of your bad ass pictures! Swooooon - I need to catch the next one for sure!

Lara said...

Sweet lord have mercy! That place looks amazing!
Love your mouse brooch, and I hear ya on collecting. I hate dusting everything! Drives me up the wall so, I try to keep most of my nic nacs in a box and just rotate them from time to time. Can't have everything and can't have it all out at once.
Belly dancing lessons!? You have to talk about this! I've always wanted to try!

kelly ♥ said...

Lara: Not only do I hate dusting everything, but I have a newfound dislike of clutter. In our old apartment, we lived with clutter. It was like 650 square feet and our living room was wall-to-wall book shelves with all of our crap on it, and I had ALL of my paintings hung, and then some. When we moved to the place we live now, our stuff got all spaced out because it’s like twice the size of our old place, and I felt so much more relaxed without all my STUFF staring at me.

Belly dancing was FUN! This was when I was still in college, before I discovered the world of Crossfit. I wanted to do something for exercise, but I hated exercising at the time (weird, since I love it now). So I thought I’d trick myself into exercising by taking a dance class, and I talked my friend Rachael into taking it with me. I’m pretty awkward, so I was afraid it would be like one of those pole dancing classes where I’d have to act all sexy or something. But not at all. There were ladies of all ages, ethnicities, and sizes. The girl who taught the class was ridiculously educated in Middle Easter culture and dance, so it was really interesting. In fact, I took a “History of Dance” class to fulfill a requirement in college and we had to write a 10-page paper on a style of dance as our final, and I wrote mine on belly dancing! I only took Level 1 and Level 2, and then for some reason I stopped. I’ve thought about taking it again, but I don’t want to take any weekend time away from Zoey.

Is the comments section an appropriate place to write such a novel of a reply?? I have no blog etiquette :)

kelly ♥ said...

Stajia: You definitely must go to the next one! I’m thinking of going baby-free next time so I have more time to get in there and shuffle through all the clothes and things! Looks like you found some cool stuff there too, according to you year-old post :)

(Had to re-send that! Stupid typo)

kelly ♥ said...

Middle Eastern... not Easter. Slap me next time I don't use spell check. My fingers don't move as fast as my mind :)

Lara said...

Ha! It's totally appropriate to write whatever the hell you want on your own blog! ;)

We probably have about 800 or so sq feet in our place and I have to think about every single purchase of home decor stuff. It sucks sometimes because I have to give up on having something crazy awesome but then again, I've probably saved a TON of money not compulsively buying everything cute.

Oh man, belly dancing sounds so great. I'll have to look into it around town.
Thanks!