Last week I posted about these wood pieces and how I didn't like them stained, and I asked for help. People commented and had some great ideas. My favorite idea was Erin's idea to polish them with beeswax for a more finished look. So I tried it, and the wood itself looks lovely, but you lose all the detail in the design. It only shows from certain angles.
So after a little experimenting (staining, polishing), I have come full circle and decided that I actually like them best the way they were to begin with, with no finish. And that's cool. Sometimes you have to try out a bunch of stuff to find the thing you like. If you love something, set it free, and if it comes back... no wait. It's wood.
Now that that's settled, I can start attaching the backings on to these.