Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cranberry sauce recipe

For some reason when I was growing up, my mom never made cranberry sauce. She always served it from the can. This is very strange because Thanksgiving is my mom's holiday – her time to shine. She makes everything from scratch. Her cornbread stuffing is a legend among my closest friends. But never cranberry sauce. She says it's because my (extremely stubborn) dad likes the canned stuff. So I spent my entire life thinking I hated cranberry sauce.

Last year, I decided to try making cranberry sauce just to see if I would like it. I had no cranberry sauce frame of reference because I'd avoided it for so many years, so I just searched "best cranberry sauce recipe" on the Google machine and hoped for the best. I came across this post on Chowhound. It seemed simple, so I decided that would be the recipe I tried.

Holy razzledazzle. Turns out I love cranberry sauce! Couldn't get enough of the stuff! I would like to share this recipe with you. Now, in a perfect world, I would make a batch of it and photograph it for this post, but I ain't be havin' time for those kinds of shenanigans. You know what cranberry sauce looks like. And there's no sense in waiting until I make it and posting it after Thanksgiving. I have to post it NOW, in case someone is like me last year, searching for that recipe.

1 12oz. bag of cranberries
1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. finely grated tangerine zest
3" cinnamon stick

Cook, stirring, and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the cinnamon stick. Serve warm or cool.

Do you have any tried and true totally epic Thanksgiving recipes?

2 comments:

Lara said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!
I wish I could make this! My family wants the canned jellied kind! Craziness!

I have a bunch of killer dessert recipes... come from a long line of Southern bakers!

Backwards Amber said...

I'm one of the weirdos that totally prefers the fake jellied kind. I actually buy it during the rest of the year from time to time ;D