Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chipper's Rainy Day Adventure!

I have some big news! I've illustrated a children's iPad app! It's called Chipper's Rainy Day Adventure.


My friend Mel loves reading books with her 2 kids. She tries to make the stories more interactive and engaging. She likes to read a little bit, pause, and ask her kids what they thought the character was going to do next. This usually leads to some really imaginative explanations. And this is what gave her the idea to start her company Invent-a-Tale.

Invent-a-Tale is a digital platform, aimed at children 18 months to 5 years old. It allows them to navigate through an adventure by interacting with the main character. It's kind of like really basic "choose your own adventure" books, perfect for younger children. Each time a parent reads the story with their child, the child can change the outcome of each circumstance. And there are little surprises in between. In each scene your child can click around and make things happen. Bugs will dance, Chipper might take a dunk under the water, and so on.


When Mel approached me to bring her character to life, I was excited. I don't usually take on much freelance work now that I have a toddler. My free time is much too valuable, so the jobs I do take either have to be worth it, or I have to feel really good about them. And Mel's project was both! This was the best freelance experience I've ever had.


And who really REALLY brought the story to life was a company called Curious Brain. Once I handed over the illustrations, they did all the animation and programming, and boy did they do a great job.

So if you have an iPad, and you have kids, check out Chipper's Rainy Day Adventure app in the iTunes store. I think you will really like it!

7 comments:

the corbett kid. said...

oh my goodness, CONGRATS on this!! BIG DEAL! BIG DEAL!!!

Lara said...

CHIPPER! Omg could Chipper be any cuter? You did so great! Congrats lady!

Momma Good said...

super cool!! you did a great job! I'll have to get this for my parents ipad when the kids are over there. my daughter will love it.

kelly ♥ let's die friends ♥ said...

Thank you friends!

Gracie said...

I don't have kids or an iPad but I love it! I can imagine it being so fun and the illustrations are super sweet. Love your friends story about asking them what happens next. Soo sweet.

Amber @ Backwards Life said...

I just shared this on FB, so awesome. I really wish I had an iPad now, Alexa would love this. She adores the audio books Peter has downloaded on his phone where they read to you and you "turn the page" on the screen.

jonandcyndi said...

Dude, Congrats! That is so cool! Will go get it!