Monday, February 27, 2012

Snapshots: Food edition

Back-to-back food posts!

Fluffy coconut flour pancakes (recipe via Nourishing Days). I've been experimenting with different types of non-grain flours, like almond flour and coconut flour. These pancakes were fluffy just like "regular" pancakes, but they weren't sweet at all. After adding maple syrup, they satisfied my pancake craving, and I even felt a little bit guilty after eating them, so I know they were good. Plus, Kyle finished all of his. If you haven't eaten bread or "real" pancakes for a while, these will definitely hit the spot.

I made this beef kafta on Friday night, and it was one of the best things I've ever made. After reviewing several recipes and seeing sumac listed as one of the ingredients, I decided to swing by Jordan Market on my way home from work to pick some up. My kafta tasted just like the stuff I order at Lebanese restaurants! I am convinced it's the sumac, and maybe the grated onion I added to the meat. I served it with a side of tahini, and a salad made of Persian cucumbers, tomato, diced red onion, fresh parsley, mint, and dill, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

A ridiculously quick, easy and tasty dinner: Spaghetti squash tossed with pesto, shrimp, and goat cheese. To make this even easier, instead of roasting, I pierced the spaghetti squash with a knife several times, then cooked it in the microwave for 8-10 minutes. When it was done and cool enough to touch, I just sliced it in half and scooped out all of the "spaghetti". This dish really came together in just the time it took to cook the spaghetti squash, because while that was in the microwave, I made the pesto in our mini food processor and cooked the shrimp. I was able to do this on a week night after going to the gym!

I am a huge nerd and love seeing what other people are eating. Especially what kinds of meals they have planned for dinner. Is that weird? Sorry about the photos. I love beautiful food photography and food styling, but I don't know how to do that myself. I usually just snap a quick photo with my phone before I hog down my vittles.


3 comments:

the corbett kid. said...

you had me drooling seeing and reading about the food you ate until you said vittles which then time warped me into memoryland and all i can see is my grandma feeding her cats tender vittles... the cat food... bueller?

Gracie said...

I'm supposed to be a vegetarian...you have me drooling too!

Lara said...

Okay... I want to fix all of this. Thank you for the microwave tip of the spaghetti squash. Yours looks really tender. Every time I've tried it in the oven, it took forever and was still crunchy.