Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Yeaaah Patchwork!


Even though I have only done 2 Patchwork shows as a vendor, I've shopped at them since they started. I've also shopped at other craft shows, like Renegade and Felt Club (still haven't been to Unique LA). And I have to say that this past weekend's Patchwork in Downtown Santa Ana was the best show I've seen. It had the best backdrop and such an awesome vibe. It was like being at a big party!

There were friendly faces everywhere I turned. Even if someone didn't buy something, just having them stop and chat with me for a while was really cool. And I got to meet and chat with a lot of people. But also? A lot of people did buy things! I was so stoked. The last show I did, I sold 1 tote bag, and this time I sold 4! The unicorn skulls were a hit! 

We had some sleeping issues with Zoey the night before. (Let me tell ya, if there's a way to squash any kind of "baby fever" you may be having, it's having your 2 year old start waking up at night again.) I was pretty sleepy. But being at Patchwork snapped me right out of it. It's like some kind of weird natural high.

My favorite things about the new Downtown location are that there are indoor real bathrooms, and there are a lot of places to hang out (Memphis, Gypsy Den, etc) if you feel like sitting down, escaping the heat, or grabbing a bite to eat.

Above: The "Libation Station" - so bummed I didn't get to try the Strawberry Rhubarb, but I did have a yummy Ginger Ale; Zoey helping mama sell things by being adorable. That star headband from Giant Dwarf was my Mothers Day gift!; Awesome speaker setup.

I am learning more each time. At my first show, I learned more about what to bring and not bring. Like, trash bags and pens come in handy, but I was perhaps being ambitious with my binder that had an inventory list for me to mark off every time I made a sale. Now that all those first-time kinks are worked out, I've learned:

I need more levels on my table. My favorite tables are the ones with a lot of varying heights, and I don't currently have that.

More buttons that say "Let's Die Friends." I didn't make a whole lot of those, and my thought behind that was that nobody knows who I am, so why would they wear that button? I forget that it's actually a pretty funny phrase and people really like it. I had a lot of people buying 3-5 "Let's Die Friends" buttons at a time to wear with their friends and give as gifts. Those were definitely my number 1 seller. 

A larger variety of less expensive items. Unfortunately, the nature of handmade stuff is that it's expensive to make, and you spend a lot of time making it. That can make prices kind of high, and I totally understand that not everyone wants to spend a big hunk of cash on one item. At the same time, there are some items that I've priced as cheap as I can without just giving them away for free. Not surprisingly, those are the things I sell the least of. I am going to try to come up with some more items that cost less than $10. 

More deals. This time I added a sign to my buttons that said "$1 or 5 for $4" and a lot of people were into the 5 for $4 thing. I think I sold more buttons because of it. I would like to come up with more ways for people to save money when they buy more than one item from me. 

And now that I've done 2 shows, I think it's time to take the leap and buy my own tent, because I do plan on doing this again! What a great outlet to have this, and now Etsy, so that all those ideas swirling around in my brain actually have a reason to get made and a place to go. 

Thanks Patchwork team for giving me this opportunity, and for making it totally affordable! I really can't say enough good things about you.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Everytime I wear the 'Let's Die Friends' button, I get tons 'o' comments.

Lara said...

YAYAYAY! So glad you sold lots o stuff this time! When my mom & her friend did shows it was always hit or miss, and you learn new tricks of the trade and stuff.

Levels should be super easy... cake stands or a spray-painted pizza pan on some cheap candle sticks... fabric covered stack of books... so many options for that!

I'm so excited for you!

Julie said...

Dude - totally inspiring! I need to come to the next Patchwork that you do. I actually still have one of your first fang pins, pinned up in my cube. Well done, sister!

Speaking of which, I would have totally stopped by to pick up a piece for my sister (Isis), but I couldn't make it out. Next time tho! I think shes going to order from esty tho. Were huge fans!

kelly ♥ let's die friends ♥ said...

Thanks lady-lovers!

Lara, those are all good ideas. I am going to get it all planned out well in advance of the next show!