Monday, February 3, 2014

New print!


One of my goals starting NOW is to focus more on putting up new stuff and filling out my Etsy shop. I have all these dreams of creating my own destiny, and nothing is ever going to happen if all I do is go to work every day and come home and go to bed, right?! I commute for 4 hours a day and it really takes a lot out of me. By the time I get home I just want to do nothing. I decided to make myself a calendar and set up little projects for myself to help me stay on track. I would love to hear from other people who work full time and try to do a little somethin'-somethin' on the side. How does one manage their time? Seems like you just need to stop sleeping. 

This little octopus guy started out as a doodle I did when I was at this work event that was kind of like a TED talk for creatives at my company. Some of the talks were really interesting and inspiring, and some of them not so much. I ended up doodling a version this guy during those not so interesting ones. It looked a lot like this, but with maybe more sketchy doodles around it. Like when you're zoning out and just moving your pen.

One of the talks that I really enjoyed was given by an art director from Pixar. It was all about working relationships and how you should be having fun at work. She also happened to be sitting next to me in the audience, and was lovely. I don't normally do stuff like this but on the way out, I tore the page I doodled on out of the notebook and gave it to her as a way of saying, "Hey I think you're rad." I was nervous because one time I gave something I made to an artist I really admired and he said nothing and slid it into his bag and I felt like crap for days after. Kind of embarrassed about it, like, "UGH why did I have to be so stupid and give him that, as if he would think I was cool or something?!" (And slightly bitter because I really liked the thing I gave him and would have rather kept it than have it end up in his trash can.) But she was so cool! She made me feel like she was so stoked I was giving this notebook doodle to her.

I really liked that doodle, so I re-doodled it and gave it some color. Over the coming months, I will be trying to devise a plan on how to get the 2 sides of my brain to work together better. One side is like, "Draw pictures of succulents and stuff for people to decorate their homes!" because I just love home d├ęcor so much. The other side is like, "Be a weirdo and draw headless unicorns!" because I am kind of a weirdo. This ends up looking very disjointed. I am not wiling to give up either side because I do love them both, so I just need to find a way to make them work together! Should be an interesting experiment.

No comments: